Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A Really Good Brussels Sprouts Recipe

Only recently have I decided that I actually like Brussels sprouts.  I had them at my grandma's once as a kid and I believe they were boiled to death.  I finally tried them again this year and they are my new favorite vegetable.  I have broiled them with a little olive oil, minced garlic, salt and pepper in the oven and they turned out great.  This is another great recipe. Super yummy I might add.  Thanks to my MIL who sends me my Bon Appetit magazine. 

Here's their recipe:

Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Raisins

Ingredients

  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 2 thick slices bacon
  • 4 cups brussels sprouts (about 1 pound), trimmed, halved
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup golden raisins
  • 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup low-salt chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

Preparation

  • Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, turning occasionally, until crisp, about 5 minutes. Using tongs, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Let cool. Coarsely crumble. (Make sure crumbled bacon is unreachable by children, or it will disappear before you need it again.)
  • While bacon cools, add brussels sprouts to drippings in skillet; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until well browned in spots and beginning to soften, 5–7 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add raisins, shallot, and butter; cook, stirring often, until shallot is soft, about 3 minutes. Add broth to skillet; increase heat and bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until broth has evaporated, 1–2 minutes. Stir in vinegar and crumbled bacon. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

No comments: