Thursday, July 3, 2008

Chicken Tortilla Soup

This is a staple at our house especially during the winter months. What I usually do is have a roast chicken the first night. Then boil the remainder the next night, let it cool, and tear off all the meat. Then I use the water that I boiled the chicken with in the soup. This is a bit of work but you really get a lot out of your chicken that way. If you want it to go faster I have also simply boiled chicken breasts or thighs and then cut them or tore them into strips.

Chicken Tortilla Soup


In a large saucepan, saute:
  • 1 chopped medium onion (about 1 cup) and
  • 2 minced garlic cloves (about 2 tsps) in
  • 2 tbsps vegetable oil
over low heat for 5 minutes until onion is softened.

Add:
  • one 4 ounce can green chiles -- chopped,
  • a 15-ounce can italian-style stewed tomatoes (chopped and with their own juice),
  • 4 cups chicken broth,
  • 1 tsp lemon pepper, (I've never made it with this just because I don't have any.)
  • 2 tsps worcestershire sauce,
  • 1 tsp chili powder,
  • 1 tsp ground cumin (I haven't used this either but now that I have some I should try it.)
  • 1/2 tsp hot sauce.
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Simmer for 20 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine 4 tbsp flour with 1/2 cup water and whisk into soup. Bring the soup back to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.

Add 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes. (I've used left over chicken from a whole baked chicken before)

Simmer for 5 minutes.

You can put a dallop of sour cream in each bowl. Sometimes we put sliced avocado and cilantro in our bowl of soup too.

Cut 4 store-bought corn tortillas into 1/4 inch strips. Lay them on a baking sheet with nonstick vegetable oil spray. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes or until they are lightly toasted and crispy. Sprinkle lightly with salt if desired. Garnish strips across the top of the finished soup with fresh coriander. (Again I haven't used the coriander)

You might also like this chicken breast dinner or this chicken and stuffing dish.  I make them both about once every month or so.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Good idea, I'll start contributing as soon as I start cooking again. George was pretty disgusted with my last meal. (=
The chicken for two meals is a great idea. I'm going to try this.

Elaine said...

Hey! So glad you liked the idea!! Thanks!