Friday, July 11, 2008

Texas Hash

There are a ton of "Texas Hash" recipes. Sandy Hendren gave me the idea. She makes it a lot. You can really be pretty creative with this and just tailor it to whatever you have or want to use. I make a large batch and then freeze some for another meal. Actually, to start I brown double the amount of ground beef called for and then pull out half and use it for spaghetti (Somewhere John cringes. He doesn't like spaghetti) and tacos for our next couple of meals.

TEXAS HASH
1 lb. ground beef
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 lg. green pepper
1 lg. onion
1 sm. can mushrooms
1/2 c. raw rice (rinsed)
1 tsp. chili powder
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 stalks celery
Brown onion and meat. Cut up (in strips) green pepper and add to meat. Also add chopped celery, tomato sauce and stewed tomatoes. Add rice, mushrooms, chili powder and chopped fine garlic. Place in casserole and bake 350 degrees 1 hour or until rice is done.


So that's how the recipe reads but I haven't used mushrooms or celery before although I'm sure it would be good. I make it even simpler. I cook the rice in a rice cooker and then mix all the ingredients together in the skillet. I don't even mess with the oven.

No comments: