Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Bacon, Spinach & Mushrooms with Pasta



I got this recipe from a magazine in which it boasted frugal recipes. This looks similar to the zucchini dish you just posted Angela.

Serves 6 (I usually cut the recipe in half)

1 lb Penne Pasta (you can really use any kind of pasta. I used bow tie this evening.)
1/2 lb bacon or about 10 slices
1 med onion chopped
1 pkg (8oz) mushrooms
2 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 pkg (12oz) fresh baby spinach (I used swish chard from the garden tonight)
Grated Parmesan

(I bet grape tomatoes would be great in this too.)

1. Cook pasta as pkg directs.
2. Meanwhile, cook bacon so that it is crispy. Remove bacon to paper towels to drain. Remove all but 2 Tbsp fat from Skillet.
3. Add onion and mushrooms to skillet. Saute 5 min or until onion is tender/ golden. Add garlic and red pepper flakes for 30 seconds.
4. Add spinach; cover and cook, stirring occasionally until wilted (about 2 min)
5. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup pasta water. Add pasta to skillet with some of the reserved pasta water; toss. Add more water as necessary. Crumble bacon on top of the pasta and serve with Parmesan.

I have left out the mushroom before just because I didn't have any on hand but I think the bacon is what makes this dish. I really should try it with tomatoes but John is not a fan.

1 comment:

Angela said...

I just used bacon for the first time in a pasta last night. (another zucchini pasta) It was really good. I'm going to use more bacon with pasta now. Plus I have to use the rest of the bacon in the pkg anyway.