Monday, July 21, 2008

Grandma's Green Bean Soup


My Grandma Jeffers has been making this soup for I don't know how long. She doesn't have an exact recipe for it so I just had her tell me what's in it. I've made it several times and I think I finally have it about the way she makes it. (More or less)

Ingredients:

1 lb FRESH green beans (I actually always guesstimate the amount)
1-2 cloves chopped garlic
1 Tbs butter
1/2 lb (more or less) chopped bacon
1-2 onions chopped
milk (I really don't know how much I put in. Maybe 2-3 cups.)
tsp garlic salt or whatever salt

I usually use the kitchen scissors to chop up the bacon. Toss it in the pan with the onion on about medium. Saute until the onions are tender. (5-8 minutes) Cut off ends of green beans and chop into bite-sized pieces. Put in boiling water for about 4 minutes so that they are a bit tender. Peel and cut potatoes in half. Toss them in boiling water for about 5-8 minutes. Don't let them get mushy. Then pull them out and cut them into bite-sized cubes. Put garlic, butter, green beans and potatoes in the pan. Saute a few more minutes before adding the milk. Put in enough milk so that it is soupy. Sometimes I add a little chicken broth. Toss in the salt. Heat 5 or so more minutes and... voila! Grandma's green bean soup. I usually have it for dinner the first night and freeze the rest for later. Hope you like it.

No comments: